Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Happiness Project

I recently came upon a blogpost written by Gretchen Rubin, the author of The New York Times Best Seller, The Happiness Project.  Gretchen spent a year testing out every theory of what makes you happy.  I am just beginning to read this book and will be reviewing it on the blog, probably in Spring 2012.  Until then, I just wanted to point out something she wrote about in her blog (www.happiness-project.com).

It seems that science and experience both agree that happiness is found in what you do EVERY DAY, and not in what you do occasionally.  The vacation getaway to the beach doesn't have near the impact on you that your daily routine does.  She specifically mentions a friend who thinks she is a routine exerciser because she works out for 2 hours approx every two weeks.  NOT!  The person who is likely to find happiness from exercise is the one who runs every day, even if for short period of time/distances.

This is also true when it comes to neurological programs for your child/family.  You won't get the satisfaction from occasional programs that you get from daily programs (5 days per week).  The routine, consistent performances are the ones that bring personal happiness and a sense or accomplishment---plus success as your child grows and improves!

I really appreciated this blogpost---I am going to more carefully examine my daily routine and see what is actually eating my time.  And does it bring my happiness?  I may enjoy something (a television show, Facebook, email, reading blogs, etc), but does it contribute to my happiness.  If not, does it belong in my every day routine? 

I know doing programs from Parents With Purpose on a daily and consistent basis brings results for your child---which brings changes to the whole family.  Every mom I've interviewed who actually DOES the program CONSISTENTLY, says it was hard, but it made them happy.  Even before their child was ready to graduate from the program, they felt happy.

I challenge each of us to really look at our day, fill it with what really brings happiness.  Realize the difference between temporary pleasure and happiness.  While temporary pleasure is fine for an occasional treat, we should be CONSISTENT with what brings real happiness.  For me, knowing my child is growing and thriving is one of the things that should be on my "happiness" list every day!

To listen to some interviews from mothers who have done the program, visit   http://www.parentswithpurpose.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23

No comments:

Post a Comment